Chowning’s Tavern, Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia
Now features longer operating hours, craft beers from across the state, a new menu focusing on smaller fare and a revamped outdoor dining area. No reservations are required.
During the day, Chowning’s Tavern casual menu emphasises quick fare. In the evening, Chowning’s becomes a true 18th-century rum and ale house adapted for family enjoyment, serving light fare, local ales and wines, rums, and Colonial Williamsburg’s own draft root beer and ginger ale.
Josiah Chowning opened his tavern in 1766 and appealing to the “ordinary sort.” Popular lore asserts that the modern sandwich has its origin in the 18th century and was named after John Montagu, the fourth earl of Sandwich. Today’s diners can partake of freshly prepared lunch fare featuring stew and sandwiches served by a gracious wait staff. Purchase and refill Souvenir Mugs here.
Hours of operation: 11:30 a.m.–11:00 p.m.
109 East Duke of Gloucester Street,
Williamsburg, Virginia 23185.
Phone: (757) 229-2141
Colonial Williamsburg Taverns are operated seasonally.
Please call 800-HISTORY for more information and operating hours.
Website: Chowning’s Tavern history.org/visit/diningExperience/chownings/