The Yorktown Victory Monument is located on the southeastern end of Main Street in Yorktown, Virginia.
The cornerstone of the monument was laid by “the order of the Ancient Free and accepted Masons” on October 18, 1881, “as the appropriate opening” for the Yorktown Centennial Celebration.
“The monument was begun in 1881, the crowning figure set on August 12, 1884, and it was officially reported as complete, with a 12 foot wide granite pavement around it, all enclosed by a simple iron fence “to keep meddlesome people at a distance,” by Lt. Col. William P. Craighill, Corps of U.S. Engineers, in a communication, dated January 5, 1885, to the Secretary of War. This in turn was transmitted to Congress. It was not until June 1890 that the Monument was officially inspected by a designated group who reported on the work that had been consummated.”
Text on the Yorktown Victory Monument sign:
This monument was authorized by the Continental Congress October 29, 1781, just after news of surrender reached Philadelphia. Actual construction began 100 years later and was completed in 1884. The original figure of Liberty atop the Vistory shaft was severely damaged by lightening. A new work replaced in in 1956. The shaft of Maine granite is 84 feet in height to which Liberty adds another 14 feet.
Read more about the history of this monument here: