Colonial Parkway, Connecting Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown, Virginia
The scenic Colonial Parkway is an integral part of Colonial National Historical Park. This 24 mile scenic Colonial-style highway connects Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown. Its panoramic vistas, gently winding curves, through patches of Pine and Evergreen forest, constantly leaves the visitor with an expectation as to what the next curve may bring forth. Several million travelers a year use this route to enjoy the natural and cultural beauty of Virginia.
Gently winding curves and evergreens along the Colonial Parkway , Parking areas among the Pine and Evergreen trees, Brick overpass along the Colonial Parkway in Williamsburg, VA,
Authorized in 1930, Colonial National Historical Park is a 10,221-acre unit of the NPS located between the James and York rivers in Virginia. Originally designated a national monument (becoming a national historical park in 1936), Colonial NHP administers and interprets the sites of Jamestown Island and the Yorktown Battlefield.
Archer’s Hope parking area along the Colonial Parkway in Williamsburg, VA, Archer’s Hope sign, along the Colonial Parkway in Williamsburg, Archer’s Hope area along the Colonial Parkway in Williamsburg.
The Colonial Parkway is free of trucks and commercial vehicles except passenger-carrying buses. The low speed limits help protect both the wildlife and tourists. The unmarked pavement is made of rounded “river gravel” set in a concrete-mix, providing an unusual earth tone color. Since the Parkway is intended primarily for sightseeing, and only secondarily as a through route to the historic points, there are many pull-offs with markers giving brief descriptions of the view.
For more information visit http://www.nps.gov/colo/parkway.htm